We care passionately about children's mental health and wellbeing.
Our mission is to empower parents, carers and educators to support children to develop their self-confidence, social skills and emotional resilience with our award winning online DESTY Island Emotional Resilience Programme.
Over 300 DESTY Mentors Trained
Supporting over 500 Children in over 250 Schools and Homes
Partnering with 10 UK Local Authorities
Changing Children's Lives
What is DESTY Island?
Created by Educational Psychologist & DESTY Founder Stephanie O'Malley DESTY Island is a safe, fun, interactive world where children learn about themselves, their feelings and how to manage BIG feelings.
Children visit DESTY Island online with their mentor who can be a parent, carer or educator. There they meet our wonderful character DESTY who acts as their island guide and friend. This is a one to one programme where child and mentor work together over a minimum of 12 half hour guided sessions.
Who is the DESTY Mentor?
We know that having a positive role model for a child is vital to growing their confidence, self-esteem and resilience. A DESTY Mentor is a key adult in a child's life who is willing to take on the support role for a child as they explore DESTY Island. We train parents, carers and educators to become DESTY Mentors and give them all the skills, tools and support they need.
What makes the DESTY Island Programme Different?
- Builds Relationship & Social Skills: It's the only programme of it's kind that promotes the development of a stable, positive relationship between a key adult (parent, carer or educator) and a child on a one to one basis.
- Personlised Programme: Every step a child takes on their DESTY Island journey they're telling their own unique story. This can then be downloaded and shared with the key people in their life.
- Offline Activities: DESTY is more than just an online programme. In fact our programme is built around online and offline activities. Each package comes with a DESTY Resilience Toolkit including a DESTY Island Adventure Workbook, a DESTY Teddy and a pack of DESTY Feelings Cards.
- Evidence Based: Our pilot study found that 80% of children who used the DESTY® Island Programme improved their emotional wellbeing.
- Evaluation of Outcomes: We provide easy access to pre and post Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) so mentors can track improvements in the child's wellbeing and behaviour.
- Ongoing Support: As a DESTY Mentor you are supported every step of the way from the moment you register for your training course. We offer individual support from an educational psychologist on a needs basis.
DESTY UK Partners
"We have started using DESTY within the Virtual School in Knowsley and the feedback in relation to this as an effective child friendly tool and activity has been excellent. The DESTY programme is a well-structured programme that is helping children to identify and explore feelings and make sense of their world, which has often been complex."
Debbie Williams, Virtual School Head Teacher, Knowsley Virtual School
How does DESTY help children?
We are committed to gathering on-going feedback and evidence of the impact of our training and DESTY Island programme on children and their Mentors. Our pilot study highlighted that 80% of children who used the DESTY® Island Programme improved their emotional wellbeing.
DESTY in the News
Stephanie meets with the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle at an event hosted by the British Embassy..Children's mental health is of special interest to both the Duke and Duchess and Education DESTY was honoured to be chosen as an example of best practice and social impact.
Education DESTY wins a Social Entreprenuers Ireland Award in recognition of our programme's social impact. Stephanie pictured with Donal Murphy, CEO of DCC plc, flagship sponsors of the Social Entrepreneurs Ireland Awards with Tammy Darcy of the Shona Project and Darren Ryan, CEO of Social Entrepreneurs Ireland
Stephanie pictured with President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins and his wife Sabina at an event honouring women entreprenuers at Áras an Uachtaráin.
Hear from our DESTY Mentors
We are thrilled with the feedback and testimonials that we received from the parents, educators and carers who have become Certified DESTY Mentors. Why not read what they have to say?
"Firstly, I would like to thank you all for this course. I love how it focuses on how my child feels and gives me a platform to explore this in a nurturing, safe and caring environment. It gives my child a voice and it gives us the chance to explore with DESTY while spending time together. I know I will always be able to refer back to DESTY to help us to all move forward."
CLARE LEAHY - Parent, Ireland
"I think this programme could benefit all children to understand their emotions and feelings but as a foster carer working with children who have suffered emotional trauma, I think it will be invaluable in helping my foster children to understand their emotions better and to help them become more resilient."
JULIE MURRAY - Foster Carer, UK
"This course was informative and transformative. The support was fantastic and I am already reaping the benefits with the young people I work with. The content was very relevant to my role in school, supporting some extremely challenging students. I would recommend DESTY to anyone working with children with social and emotional needs."
GILLIAN O'KEEFE - Educator, Ireland