DESTY Island -
Award Winning Online Emotional Resilience Programme for Children
Change a child's life. Work one to one with a child to grow their confidence, develop their social skills and build their resilience.
What is DESTY Island?
Created by Educational Psychologist & DESTY Founder Stephanie O'Malley DESTY Island is an individualised, safe, fun, interactive world where children learn about themselves, their feelings and how to cope with challenges in life. This programme is particularly aimed at children who are finding it difficult to cope with major life transitions or children who present with additional learning needs such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) among others.
A child visits DESTY Island online with their trained DESTY Mentor where they meet our wonderful character DESTY who acts as their island guide and friend. This is a one to one programme where child and mentor work together over a minimum of fourteen 30-40 minute guided sessions.
Who is the DESTY Mentor?
We know that having a positive role model for a child is vital to growing their confidence, self-esteem and resilience. A DESTY Mentor is a key adult in a child's life who is willing to take on the support role for a child as they explore DESTY Island. We train parents, carers and educators to become DESTY Mentors and give them all the skills, tools and support they need.
What makes the DESTY Island Programme Different?
- Builds Relationship & Social Skills: It's the only programme of it's kind that promotes the development of a stable, positive relationship between a key adult (parent, carer or educator) and a child on a one to one basis.
- Personlised Programme: Every step a child takes on their DESTY Island journey they're telling their own unique story. This can then be downloaded and shared with the key people in their life.
- Offline Activities: DESTY is more than just an online programme. In fact our programme is built around online and offline activities. Each package comes with a DESTY Resilience Toolkit including a DESTY Island Adventure Workbook, a DESTY Teddy and a pack of DESTY Feelings Cards.
- Evidence Based: Our pilot study found that 80% of children who used the DESTY® Island Programme improved their emotional wellbeing.
- Evaluation of Outcomes: We provide easy access to pre and post Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) so mentors can track improvements in the child's wellbeing and behaviour.
- Ongoing Support: As a DESTY Mentor you are supported every step of the way from the moment you register for your training course. We offer individual support from an educational psychologist on a needs basis.
What's included in the DESTY ISLAND PACKAGE?
What comes with my DESTY Resilience Toolkit?
DESTY Island is a totally immersive programme for both child and mentor with lots of fun online and offline activities for you to do together. You will receive MY DESTY Island Adventure Workbook, a DESTY Teddy and a Set of DESTY Feelings Cards, all designed to extend the programme even further.
Need More Information?
Thinking about becoming a Mentor and have some questions, then check out our FAQs.